4.04.2010

Easter in the hospital.

Well, we are in Rehab, Drew worked with OT, PT, and speech yesterday. He did really well, but it was awful, he obviously has a massive head ache, and they are making him do a ton of excersising, and worst of all, tests. Written tests with math problems and stuff, try that with a head ache like he's got. It wears him out, and having so many visitors wear him out too, hopefully we won't have many today cause of the holiday, and there is no therapy, yay! The nurses have been great so far, but there is this one nurse on the rehab unit that i don't like, neither does Drew. Sadly she has been his nurse for 2 days... I wish I could just take over here!!!!! Drew doesn't want her near him either, I barley dare leave the room for fear she will kill him! She puts bubbles in his IV, so I have to walk her through that each time (ya she doesn't like me--and I totally don't care) she gave his lovenox injection way to the side yesterday, Drew has no fat over there.....HELLO! I had to show her where I wanted it given today, and tried to give it myself, she wouldn't let me of course. Then she just threw away his lovenox injection in the sharps without giving it today, I was like, um... how about his lovenox, she said oh, did I not do that? I didn't did I, I just put it in the sharps. She she had to order another from pharmacy (they are not cheap) She came back seconds later and said, well I found some lovenox in the drawer, and started getting it ou, I said well is it the same dose though? Oh I don't know she says....WHAT!!!!!!!!! So she looks it up and finally he gets the right amount, good H! I would really just rather they let me take over, but I can't so I will be the annoying family member that is like a hovering hawk, but I feel like I have to be here, I seriously don't dare leave him with her! I am going to run to my mother in laws today for a shower and to do a quick load of laundry, I will stay maybe an hour and a half. Drew doesn't really want me to go, and leave him with these people, but my mom and dad will stay with him while I am gone, I am really just going for the kids, to see them on easter and stuff, we may let the kids visit Drew for the first time to day too, we haven't let them so far. Daddy has road rash everywhere, one eye that won't shut, one side of his face not working (can't smile for them), two broken arms (well shoulder and wrist-but can;t pick them up) a leg wound (can't sit on his lap) and head his head shaved with staples everywhere on that side, we don't want to scare them, he has talked to them on the phone, and he thinks that even though he is totally miserable he could maybe put on a good front for them for a few minutes! We hope to be able to go home here is the next week or so, He walks around well, but still gets off balance, I wouldn't dare let him walk around alone, and need to get a shower chair for home, and a grab bar put in the shower and stuff. Hopefully today we can just kind of chill, and get out of here soon, between Drew and the kids I think I will be very busy for a while, good thing we have till july before this baby is born!

12 comments:

cambersue said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry, I don't even know what to say. What a blessing that your families are close and can take the kids. You two will be in our prayers, I hope everything continues to heal quickly and return back to normal in not too long. Good Luck dealing with the headstrong nurses...i know you can take 'em.

Lindsay Phenes said...

How terrible! I'm so sorry about that nurse. Ya know, if ya really wanted to be a pain, you could request another nurse for him if she is assigned to him again. ;) I worked with a couple nurses at McKay that frequently had patients UN-request them. No good...but Drew's lucky you know what's up & can play referee with this nurse.
I'm glad to hear he's improving - lots of prayers are being said on his (and your!) behalf. I love ya, Manda.

Tina said...

Good heck! I would seriously be demanding a new nurse. That's crap. Glad to hear things are still looking up though - and yay for already being in rehab. Hopefully you'll get a minute to enjoy Easter with your kiddos. Poor things, probably miss their daddy a lot.

Trapper and Suzy said...

Wow, that nurse is going to be in my dreams tonight. I just know it, and that is chilling. Maybe someone should've told her long ago that nursing isn't her forte and thta she should stick to something simple. : )

Jacqueline said...

This will be an Easter to remember for sure! Thanks for all the updates, you guys are in my thoughts constantly. Keep hanging in there! I can't imagine what you are going through but these horrible experiences sure show us what we're made of. You are one tough chick and I love ya!
When I did an internship in Rehab five years ago? at Mckay we really encouraged patients to not have a lot of visitors so that they could use their focus and energy on therapy. I used to feel so bad working on math problems and practicing writing checks with patients that had been through hell and back. But I guess they recommend that for a reason. Lots of progress happens in the first couple weeks so they really like to hit therapy hard so try to limit visitors if you feel like it will help Drew focus better. Take care and get a new nurse!

The Grant Family said...

Amanda, I am so glad that Drew is okay and doing better. Please let me know if I can help in any way. Prayers and blessings are miracles.

Jenny said...

You are doing such a good job, Mandy. Request a new nurse! How horrible.
I hope you had a good Easter. Tell Drew that we keep praying for him. The kids never forget him.

Raelee said...

Holy cow you are a busy little mama!!! You are doing great and I am glad you are taking care of my cousin....KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE CRAZY NURSE....we need his crazy funny personality back! I hope everything went well if the kids got to visit*HUGS*

Pam said...

I never blog, and Marisha informed me about Drew. I am so sorry Amanda. I would love to bring you dinner sometime. I will keep your family in my prayers. I will get your number somehow, and figure out a time I could bring you dinner. Hang in there. You are a good wife! Love pam

katie said...

Amanda I am so sorry to hear about Drew. He's one tough guy to overcome so much in such a short time. Continue to be strong with those crazy nurses. Thinking of you and your family.
Katie

The Earnest Family said...

I have been following your blog and keeping updated on Drew....I am so sorry! Your sweet little family is in our prayers. Hang in there. Lean on your family and the Lord for support. Give Debbie a hug for me. xoxo
Amber Earnest

Bingham Family said...

Oh Amanda...You are so dang cute! I can totally picture you taking care of your hubby! When I heard about the accident I told Dusty "Amanda loves him so much...she is one of those wives that is always talking about how wonderful her husband is. I bet she is a wreck!!!" I'am so glad things are going good for Drew. You be careful yourself. Love you!:)