4.02.2010

Day 5

Everything is still going better than expected! My Drew is in there and that is ALL that matters to me! He is now talking normally (not whispering) and can remember everything up until the accident, He has changed from IV pain meds to oral, and that seems to have kept him less sedated which helps him be less confused, before he kept saying I can't stay awake. Yesterday is the first day he remembers,he remembers nothing from the other days, which I told him is a good thing! Yesterday they got him up to walk and do some balance excercises, he did really well, still off balance, but they will work with him. He ate really well at dinner, and again before bed, he had only eaten a few bites earlier, and the last time he ate was sunday! We had the ENT doc come in yesterday, and did some hearing tests, and had some of the dried blood pulled out of his ear. We found out that he has dislocated the tiny bones in his ear, and has a moderate hearing loss in the right ear, it won't get better, but he can either wear a hearing aide in that ear, or have a surgery done (probably what he will want to do for long term) in a few months,and have a prosthetic put in and linked straight to the stapes bone, which should give him CLOSE to perfect hearing again. He broke that temporal bone, right through his ear, and along the facial nerve, and auditory nerve. The good new was that we had a nerve test done and his nerve is intact, not severed, and the CAT scan shows the fracture along side it not across it, but you can see the nerve being pressed on by those tiny dislocated ear bones, they stared a steroid and we will see if he can get some feeling back on the right side of his fave, and some movement back as well, they hope in a few weeks to months the palsy (facial paralysis) will go away. We are moving to the rehab unit down the hall this morning (friday) where he will do 3 hours a day of physical therepy, occupational therepy, and speech therepy. We hope to only be there a week or two. However they told me not to plan on doing anything much for at least two months after going home, he will be tired easily, weak, and most likely have headaches, and with the head injury, we don't know yet how he will deal with stress, and the kids, noise, rational thinking (may be impulsive for a while) things like that, so I won;t be leaving him with the kids, plus his right shoulder is broken and in a sling, and the left wrist, so he has a cast on that arm. He says his left foot really hurt, so they x rayed it yesterday, it's just a sprain, no break. So it will be a while before he can help much with the kids, and just day to day stuff, we have to get these bones healed up! So far he is my MIRACLE, and I am so greatful he is here and going to be okay with time, 5 days ago I didn't know if he would make it, and if he did if he would even know my name, or be severly handicapped, so it's all good! Thanks for all the prayers, they are working, so keep it up! P.S. we actually slept fairly well last night for the first time! Drew is asleep still, I am a morning person, and figured today will be a busy day, so I better update, I never did yesterday, (I did run home and shower though, and I smell much better)

11 comments:

Sally said...

Drew IS a miracle!

Jenny said...

I am so glad things are going well. We continue to pray for you two. And keep doing those little things for yourself, like showers. :)

Ed, Kalisa, Dyson, Savannah & Daxton & Daxton said...

Just heard the news about Drew. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during the recovery period. May the Lord continue to bless you and your family.

Ginger said...

Amanda- You are so strong! Drew is so lucky to have you there to help and encourage him:) Thanks so much for the updates, the Gunns love Drew like he is part of our family and we have been super worried! Glad to hear he is doing better. We're thinking of you guys.

Lindsay Phenes said...

Hey 'Manda. Thanks so much for using your blog to keep people updated on Drew's condition. You're one tough cookie, girly! :) You sound like you're doing your best to stay strong - a tough feat, considering ALL the circumstances you're dealing with. Including being pregnant on top of everything else.
I'm glad to hear that Drew's a fighter! My thoughts are with you all. I love you!

The Garrs said...

I'm so glad that things are looking up for you guys. Drew is definitely a "MIRACLE". Make sure your taking care of yourself and baby Owen. Your in our thoughts and prayers.

Rieck Family said...

Amanda..I am so glad you are keeping us all posted on Drew. I was so worried about you when I got Michelle's message. I hope you are doing well and hanging in there. I am so glad to hear Drew is doing so amazing! If you need anything or a friend to talk to, please keep me in mind. I love ya...Kalli

Tina said...

Wow. I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up and that he's recovering faster than expected. Sounds like any long term effects will be minor. Wonderful news!
Let me know if I can do anything for you. Love you. Hang in there.

Annie said...

Amanda, Just wanted to let you know you guys are in our prayers and thoughts. I will look forward to more good news with the coming days! I can do anything, just let me know.
Annie.

RJ said...

How wonderful to read all these updates with such good news in them. I just cried and cried when my sister called me to tell me Drew was in surgery with such a serious injury. Every wife's worst nightmare and you were going through it! I've been praying for your family every morning and every night since and thinking of you often. Here's a couple quotes from a book I've been reading by Bruce C. Hafen called Covenant Hearts that have made me think of you and Drew's situation.

"The mental image of his wife gave Viktor Frankl the strength to survive the agony of a Nazi concentration camp: "As we stumbled on for miles,...dragging one another up and onward,...my mind clung to my wife's image...Her look was more luminous than the sun...For the first time in my life...I grasped the meaning of the greatest secret that human poetry and human thought and belief have to impart: The salvation of man is through love and in love. Therefore, he who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how."
---------------------------------------
"Even when love wounds us, that is because love matters so much. The deep hurt is the mirror image of the deep joy that still awaits us. The ache we feel wouldn't be so bad if it didn't come from something so good.

Our longing to belong forever to a loving family comes from God, and He has promised its fulfillment, if we are faithful: "For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness" (Psalm 107:9. His promise is sure."
-Bruce C. Hafen

Raelee said...

I am so glad that things are looking up for Drew.....he is a fighter and he is doing great! I will keep you,Drew and the kids in my prayers! He is very lucky to have such a strong lady right by his side:)