4.27.2009

The WORST week of our LIVES! Boston got his Tonsils and Adenoids out last Wed.

In the waiting room, we had to be there at 6:00 am! Getting ready to go, he's ticked that we took his jammies off and put the gown on! A little while after surgery, bawling, and bawling..... Getting breathing treatments. He only wanted daddy to hold him, but wanted me close by. his bear they gave him Finally eating and drinking 10 hours later!!! AHHH!!!!! THE STORY... Well, we left the house at 5:30 am, got there, and got him all ready, it was so sad to hand him to the anethesiologist and have Boston crying and reaching for me and screaming momma!!!... I could hardly bear the thought that he was so scared, and they had to just hold his little body down, we went out to the waiting room, and I cried for a few minutes, Drew was a wreck, and had to excuse himself to the bathroom, he bawled harder than I did, I LOVE it! 25 min later the Dr. called us into the family room, and said that everything went well, he said his tonsils were big, but his adenoids were huge, and that was his biggest problem most likely. He said everything went well during the surgery, and that Boston didn't eve lose a drop of blood, he said they were taking him to recovery and that they would call us back any second. So I was feeling good, until 5 min. past, 10 min. past... Drew said something must be wrong, they finally called us back a few min later, and said that Boston had turned blue as they were getting ready to take him to recovery, and that he just stopped breathing! FREAK! They tried to get him to take a breath for 20-30 seconds, then started bagging him (breathing for him) for 3 min. He then started to breath on his own. Well that scared the crap out of me, good thing I prayed the whole time he was in surgery! Anyways, so you know how most people are kind of docile, and lethargic as they come out of anesthesia, not our child. He was screaming Bloody Murder, and did not stop for longer than one or two minutes, for 6 straight hours and he just thrashe around wildly to the point we couldn't really hold onto him!!!! he only wanted Drew to hold him, Standing up, not sitting, his eyes were swollen shut, and all he would say is no, no, owie, ow... WHAAAH... Poor kid. He was really croupy, so they did epinephrine 2 times, and some oxygen and breathing treatments to try and get his airway opened up, his O2 sat kept dropping to 70%. Well, he wouldn't take anything by mouth, and the IV pain meds worked quick, but didn't last long, so he didn't have very good pain management. Finally we got them to unhook the Iv bag, put him in his oun PJ's, and go outside, there was a motorcycle in the parking lot (luckily) and it saved us! He went back in, and wanted to get his toy motorcycle, and took his medicine, ate some pudding, drank some juice, and we were out of their our 2 hour stay turned into 10, but they had told us we'd have to stay overnight cause they'd never seen such a case, but we got to go home! YAY! Plus we found out right before we left that they had given him steroids, well, he has issues on steroids, he gets very bad roid rage, and is really anxious, and cranky, so that explained alot! Since we've been home, he has been very clingy, now he just wants mom, he still has pain issues, and cries most of the day, it has been 6 days and it has been so miserable , My house looks like crap, Drew had to teach my lesson on Sunday, I haven't cooked a meal in days.... I just wish I could get him to take his medicine, we have to wrap him in a towel, and put the medicine in a cup so we can catch what he spits out, by the end he probably get half of it, and about drowns and chokes to death, I think I dread it more than he does! Plus I am highly allergic to his antibiotic, and everywhere he has spit it onto my skin, I have an itchy rash! I have got NO sleep all week, and hurt all over due to the fact that I am sleeping on the floor next to his crib because he wants me close, but i do NOT want him starting the habit of sleeping in my bed! They told me it would start getting better after 7 days, and I sure hope so!!! I can't do this much longer, but I am greatful that he's alive!

13 comments:

Kristin said...

That is just so awful! Poor Boston! I'm glad that he's okay for the most part and what a rough time for you. I can't believe that you got my pictures done so quickly. If I would have known what you were going through I would have told you to put mine off until later. I hope that he continually gets better and that you'll get some rest in your own bed.

the heath's said...

Sounds like quite an adventure! I am so glad that he is doing better that must of been so scary to go through. Hope things start going up hill for you soon.

Jessica

Lissagerl said...

Holy cow!! You know it's bad when the surgical center has never seen it before!! Sorry he hasn't recovered yet. I hope he does soon.

Lindsay Phenes said...

Poor little guy! That's so miserable. I remember when Haddie had her tubes put in her ears. Very minor compared to your poor Boston, but still traumatizing to her momma! That screaming, coming out of the anesthesia...I'll never forget that. At least they tried preparing me by warning me that most little ones react that way. I'm so grateful he's okay, relatively speaking. You're a strong Mommy! :)

Sally said...

What an experience! I hope Boston gets feeling better soon.

Brooks Nelson said...

How awful for you!! I am sorry he still isn't feeling well. Having sick kids is terrible. When Kylie had her tonsils out I accidently gave her my grandmas christmas punch that had citric acid or something like that in it. Oh wow was that bad. Good Luck with the rest of the recovery. Hope he gets felling better soon.

Evans said...

Oh poor little guy! Trey was exactly the same way when he came out of the anesthesia very very cranky and didn't want anyone but his dad! And he screamed bloody murder just like you are describing! It's horrible huh? Day 7 like they said Trey was eating pizza and chicken nuggets so weird! Hopefully he will be the same! Good Luck!

Kristin said...

You have had quite the week. I wish I would havd known. What a terrible neighbor I am. I would have at least brought you some hawaiian chicken. Hope things get better and Sweet little Boston feels better.

Jenny said...

oh, Amanda! I wish I could come up and clean your house for you, cook, and take care of you and Boston and the rest of the fam. After what we went through with Dallin, I TOTALLY understand what you are going through. Is Boston still on the steroids? I CAN'T wait til Dallin is completely off of them. 'roid rage is horrible!
I feel so bad for you and little Boston. If you need any advice (especially about taking meds) or want to talk, call me! Grandma has my phone number.

cambersue said...

oh...how miserable. I have a really hard time imagining anyone a bigger wreck than you anticipating sendig your little boy into the OR for surgery! I'm glad you all made it out OK. There i nothing worse than seeing/coping/enduring your kids in pain. I hope your little family will be back to normal soon. good luck! FYI I have 3 weeks left!

jonisill said...

Poor kid!! that sounds awful!! I am sorry he had to go through that! I hope he gets back to his normal self real soon.

Lisa said...

So sorry that you had to go through all that!!! I am sooo glad that Boston is ok.. hope he is feeling back to normal and you get some rest soon!!

Melissa and Matt said...

WOW! That does sound like a hard week. I hope Boston gets feeling better soon. I used to assist on those surgery, but I never got to see what the parents went through later. Hopefully, it will be worth it in the end and he will be much healthier.